'Tis the season for looking back to the old year and forward to the new.
I'll leave the celebration of the Arab Spring and the return of class politics in 2011 - and anticipation of an inspiring year of struggle in 2012 - to my comrades.
As the ghost at the feast I'll predict a year of nauseating nationalist flag-waving. We have all the ingredients:
• The gloom of recession that needs warming with an excuse for a street party
• London hosting the Olympics
• The queen's diamond jubilee or whatever the fuck it is
• The long anticipated death of Thatcher and her funeral
• Ditto the Duke Of Edingburgh
Of course it doesn't have to be this way ...